Bomb threats have been sent by email to a ‘number’ of schools across Britain forcing some to be evacuated as a precaution.
The National Crime Agency has launched an investigation into the messages, but it said it believes they are not a ‘credible threat.’
Schools are being asked to contact their local police force if they have received one of the emails.
Selly Park Technology College for Girls in Birmingham was evacuated after receiving a threat this morning.
Fairholme Primary School in Feltham, west London, told parents earlier this morning they would be closed due to the threat
Selly Park Technology College for Girls in Birmingham was evacuated after receiving a threat this morning
It said in a statement: ‘After evacuating the premises following a threat received this morning to a number of schools, and following advice from the police, we have reopened the school.
‘The day will finish at 3.05pm as normal. Thank you to all our staff, pupils and parents for their calm cooperation.’
Fairholme Primary School in Feltham, west London, told parents earlier this morning they would be closed due to the threat.
It is not clear if it has re-opened following advice from police.
The National Crime Agency said that ‘a number’ of emails had been sent to schools but ‘stress there is no credible threat’
The exact number of schools is not known at this stage or if the threats contained any specific demands.
A headteacher at Bishopsalt School in Uxbridge, west London, also wrote to parents this morning saying that it had received a ‘malicious email.’
The statement said: ‘We have taken advice from the Police and they are not treating this as a real threat to the school.
‘You will know that unfortunately there have been many such threats to schools across the country.
‘However, the Police have advised that we should undertake our normal security and safety procedures which we have completed this morning.
‘Please be assured that a through (sic) and systematic check of the school has been made and nothing untoward has been found.’
In March schools were sent a bomb hoax, and this image of the message was circulated by parents
It comes after an email was sent to around 400 schools in March making bomb threats. It turned out to have been caused by rivals rowing about popular game Minecraft.
In total 24,000 threatening emails were sent to schools and colleges across the UK demanding $5,000 or a bomb would be detonated.
A statement released by the National Crime Agency today, said: ‘We are aware of a number of threatening emails being sent to schools and are investigating alongside partners.
‘We understand that these types of emails can be distressing and while we take the communications extremely cautiously, we must stress there is no credible threat.
‘We would ask that anyone receiving such an email contact their local police.’
West Midlands Police said emails were first sent to schools across its region on Monday night.
It said in a statement: ‘Police are aware of emails circulating to a number of schools in the West Midlands and nationally this morning (Tuesday May 8) making bomb threats – at this stage it is believed they are false and malicious.
‘Schools are some of the safest and most secure public spaces with well-rehearsed safety plans in place to deal with a range of emergencies. Staff are highly trained and the well-being of students is their top priority.’
CST, a charity that helps UK Jews with security and anti-semitism, said it is ‘aware’ of some Jewish schools receiving the threat.
(function() (window._fbq = );
var fbds = document.createElement(‘script’);
fbds.async = true;
fbds.src = “http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbds.js”;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’);
_fbq.loaded = true;
window._fbq = window._fbq || ;
window._fbq.push([“track”, “PixelInitialized”, ]);